Sunday, February 15, 2009

Buckle up please......

After having my hair cut yesterday evening, while I was walking towards my car, I saw a man opened up his car boot to take out a gas cylinder presumably to replace with a new one from a sundry shop nearby. As he was doing that, I saw inside his Daihatsu Charade, there were two kids, one boy and one girl, were squatting inside the rear part of the small car, and I said squatting simply because there were no more seats at the back. The back seats were all removed so that the car could accommodate more stuff such as cooking utensils, a big tent and a lot more other stuff. The man was probably a hawker, rushing to open up his stall in a nearby pasar malam.

It is certainly dangerous to let the kids sitting alongside all those pasar malam stuff without buckling up. I guess the parents were also realised how dangerous it was, but alas, that was what it is, they probably couldn't afford a bigger van or were not feeling safe to let the kids staying alone in the house without the care of adults.

I remember my former boss would never allow his kids to ride on a motorcycle as he thought that it was too dangerous. But in the kampung, you probably could see a lot more very young kids riding on motorcycles without helmets, and more certainly without a license. Sometime worse still, you can see four or five kids riding on a bike to go to school. I think those kids coming from poorer families would probably growing up faster as the parents are simply too busy to earn a living let alone enough time to pamper their children.

No comments: