Friday, March 27, 2009

Singing Magpies

I’m quite fortunate actually, not many people office can be as nice as mine. There is nothing so fantastic about my office. A wooden colonial styled single storey building which has been in existence for more than 60 years since 1940s. This place certainly has its glory days, when there were a select team of scientists and agriculturalists working here in the fifties when the country was diversifying into the cultivation of rubber and oil palm. Those olden boys have been contributing to some of the great achievements in rubber and oil palm research and the plantation industry as a whole. But now, most of the buildings are vacant, the people working here were mostly transferred elsewhere following the merger of Sime Darby, Golden Hope and Guthrie two years ago. All the beautiful history and sweet memory of those who have been working in Guthrie Research Chemara before will eventually come to an end. This place is out for sale and I will be the last one to move out from here latest by end of the year.

Time flies. It has been a good ten years since I started working here. Along the way, there are opportunities cropped out but somehow, this place seems so homely to me. An office located at a hilltop in the hustle and bustle of Seremban. No traffic jam, a ten minutes drive from my house and a ten minutes drive to Jusco Seremban. I can even go to Jusco to have lunch without going back late to the office. But above all, the most adoring part is the song birds magpie entertaining me with their beautiful song every morning, afternoon and evening. This bird likes to sing, some people say they are noisy. Our office is surrounded by fruit trees like rambutan, durian and other big trees. This place surely is a haven for birds and monkey in Seremban. More so there are less people working here now and the monkeys were happily running on our roof making hell lot of noise.

But of late, there are lesser monkey in our compound, probably due to less foods as it is not a season for rambutan. But what I truly treasure is the magpies. It is relaxing listening to these lovely birds, reminding me of those olden days when I was a small boy living in a kampong in Arau. My late mother likes the singing magpie very much. She said they are lucky birds. I remember on the morning before I went to school to pick up my STPM results, she saw that I was so worried and thus tried to calm me down. She told me that my examination result would be fine, so don’t worry. I asked why. She said that morning there were plentiful of magpies singing aloud at our backyard, surely it was going to be a lucky day for me. But my examination result came up so so only. I went home with a dejected face and I told my mom, whether it is a lucky day or bad day, magpies will sing, even the sky is going to fall, they will still sing, so don’t ever think that it has anything to do with luck.

Somehow, I miss my mom, just like I’m going to miss this place and the singing magpies.

No comments: