Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My wife first experience in earthquake

My wife fell down as she was about to leave her office in PJ, unknowing that it was the tremor arising from an earthquake occurred in Padang, Indonesia. She felt dizzy, couldn’t stand up for a few moments and everything was shaking. She thought that it was due to her low blood pressure as sometimes she also experienced dizziness.

When I told her about the earth quake happened in Padang and then only she realized that it was the tremor that caused her to fall down in her office this evening. Having no previous experience in earth quake, I can’t blame her for not evacuating herself from her office in time.

I experienced the earth quake 2 years ago when I visited Solok Selatan, also in Sumatra, 2, 3 hundreds kilometers from Padang. It was a light tremor. I could see the water in the glass was so shaky and the curtains were also shaky. An expatriate who was taking a nap in his room ran out and told us that it was the earthquake. But I supposed the tremor I experienced some years ago in Solok Selatan was not as strong as the one experienced by my wife this evening. At least I didn’t fall down.

Malaysia is blessed as we are out of the Pacific ring of fire and thus, no earth quake, no typhoons and other serious natural disasters. But things may change now, if a strong earthquake happens in Indonesia, we can’t be sure that there would not be any serious damage to our high rise building in highly populated areas such as KL, PJ, Penang and JB. Our buildings are certainly not built to withstand earthquake.

No comments: