Monday, November 29, 2010

Fascinating Yunnan - Jade Dragon Mountain

Having visited China a couple of time since 2007 I somehow get addicted to it. Many friends have their preferences in holidaying in Europe, Australia or New Zealand, Japan, Korea or other famous destinations in North or South America but to me, holidaying in China is truly worth for money and more fascinating especially I can see for myself the historical sites that I have learned since young in school or through reading.

When I stepped on the great wall a year ago it was a little bit emotional and it makes you wonder how the ancient Chinese could build such a giant fortification which stretches more than 8,000 km to fence off their enemies. Thousands and thousands of lives were sacrificed. Bloods and tears were melted into the bricks and soils of the great wall. I guess that is something special for a Chinese educated person like me to visit the historical sites in China. There are some emotional attachments that make a holidaying trip more meaningful.

Just came back from Yunnan a few days ago and it was another fascinating holiday over there. Beautiful scenery in Stone Forest (石林) and JiuXiang (九乡) at Kunming, the Jade Dragon (玉龙雪山) or Yulong Snow Mountain at Lijiang were the main attractions and for that reason these places were so crowded that there were long queues to get into cable cars or electric tourist carts. We took the cable car up to Yuen Shan Ping (云杉坪) which is about 4000 meter above sea level and none of us were affected by high altitude illness apart from one lady did complained of severe headache that resulted in her swallowing a dozen tablets of Panadol during our few days stay in Lijiang.

I specially admire an elderly couple of more than 70 years old which were so sturdy all along the trip to the Jade Dragon Mountain although the old lady which is 73 years old had to puff some oxygen from time to time. The local authority has required the tourists more than 70 years old to pre registered prior to visiting the Jade Dragon and our local tour guide which is of Naxi (纳西族) origin had duly did so when we arrived at Lijiang a day before going up to Jade Dragon.

I guess the thin air at high altitude did cause some adverse effect on me but not severe enough to develop into mountain sickness as my wife noticed that I was less enthusiastic or more sedative and weak at the Jade Mountain as compared to other scenic areas at the lower altitude. I guess that was right, it was my first experience at such an high altitude after all, you will definitely feel some difficulty in breathing if you walk a bit faster due to lower amount of oxygen in the air.

It was a good lesson learned after all and kudos to my wife which always walks much slower than me wherever we go, flat-out beating me at the Jade Mountain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I be enduring interpret a only one of the articles on your website at this very moment, and I definitely like your line of blogging. I added it to my favorites trap age muster and disposition be checking back soon. Divert report register in view my put as well and vindicate me be acquainted with what you think. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Tengo algo de sabiduría maravillosa.

Anonymous said...

Interesting tour

背包老狼 said...

到过云南, 是一个很迷人的地方. 只要把脚步放缓, 处处好风光.

背包老狼