Thursday, January 29, 2009

Chinese New Year Reunion

As usual, I travelled back to my home town in Arau to celebrate Chinese New Year. This year, our home welcome a new member, my 7-month old nephew but my younger brother was not coming back from Pakistan due to work commitment. The celebration was only a modest one, my mom passed away many years ago and after my grand mother passed away, the Chinese New Year is just like a reunion of family members, especially for four of us, one working in Seremban, which is me, two brothers in Singapore and the youngest brother in Pakistan.

Remember your science class in the primary or secondary school when you learned about how the plants spread their seeds far away from the place through various kinds of agents like animals, wind, water, human and etc. Did your teachers told you that good seeds must spread far away so that they can have better chances of survival? I guess human being is just the same, the young men anf women from backward areas such as Arau, will naturally look for better opportunities elsewhere, in so doing, leaving behind their old parents in the home town.

If you see the TV commercials or advertisements specially made for festive seasons such as Hari Raya, Deepavali or Chinese New Year by some big corporations like Tenaga, Petronas, Telekom, KFC, Astro where most of the advertisements some how emphasised on how cheerful the old parents welcoming back their children or grand children after prolonged loneliness and waiting? Or how regretful the children that couldn't celebrate the festivity with one of the parents after the he or she died? These advertisements may be different in the contents, but the message sent across is clear; spend more time with the parents when they are still alive.

I rarely go back to Arau since I start working in 1994, I guess the reason is because my mom and grand mother are not around any more. I suppose if they are still alive, I would have to go back more often. Apart from going back to Arau, my wife and I still have to go back to Sitiawan where her mother lives. Such is nowadays way of living, you rarely see a big family staying together under one roof which was only common during the olden days. But despite barrier due to distance, are family ties become weaker and weaker? Or otherwise, why are the TV commercials keep on inculcating family values and what not? That is not the question that I intend to seek the answer. Sometime, the force of living will drift you to somewhere you may not want to be but alas, that is what it is, you have to bow down and accept it.

Just like the tree hoping its seeds can be spread as far as possible so as to have a better chance of survival, the parents will want the same to happen on their children, even though they have to suffer loneliness when their good seeds are sprouting on a greener pasture and turning into a big tree conquering a new frontier. But like I said, we are a higher class of living organism as compared to the trees, we will go back to the place where we were born and raised and share our success stories, sorrows, dissapointments with the old parents and brothers or sisters. After one year of loneliness, let us give them some cheerful moments in one or two days of the festive season.

No comments: