Wednesday, August 4, 2010

When a pawn advances

Many years ago, my ex colleague told me at a beer session at our club house that he broke the record of the company of being transferred 5 times in a year until his youngest daughter complained to him dejectedly that she couldn’t even manage to settle down in her new school, making new friends then she had to start all over again. His whole family was affected as all along, he brought his family with him no matter where he was posted to, no matter how remote the estates were.

For a person working in the plantation industry, transfer is a norm although nobody actually enjoying it. My friend told me that he fully aware of the ulterior motive of the company transferring him so many times in a year was just to get rid of him. He stood his ground firm until he got a new job then he left. That was the predicament of a planter, if the company doesn’t like a person for whatsoever reason, they will get you transfer many times in a year, making your life miserable until you get fed up and leave the company on your own, saving them the trouble of sacking somebody.

I got my transfer letter yesterday dated 27 July requesting me to report at Banting office on 1 August. I guess that’s not too bad as my colleague was given the same dateline to be transferred to Sarawak. If you are working as a wage earner, that’s how it is going to be.

I told my friends we are indifferent with the pawns on the chessboard being positioned here and there by the bosses for the sake of strategizing the company’s vision and mission or for whatsoever reasons. Hopefully, when the pawn advances to its eighth rank, he will get his deserving promotion.

No comments: