Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Beware of CyberCrime and Identity Theft

Recently, a woman from Kota Damansara was implicated in the weblog insulting Prophet Muhammad and being investigated by the police under Sedition Act. I pity the woman for the stressful conditions that she has to go through and also being a victim by irresponsible people with malicious intent against her.

So happen, I received an "very urgent" e-mail from my wife today, saying that she was stranded in 135 Peckham High Street, London, UK as she lost all her money, cellphone and other documents and valuable things and thus unable to contact anyone except that using e-mail from a state library. Oh my god, what a mess isn't. The funny part is my wife is back home in Sitiawan, not in UK. Apart from me, all her other friends also receiving the same e-mail asking for help. The e-mail was asking the potential victims to transfer a whopping USD 2800 through Western Union money transfer so that she could get the money quickly and could leave there as soon as possible. My wife is having a busy day because of that bloody e-mail, getting calls from all her pathetic friends to verify the validity of the e-mail. I suppose no one has bank in the money for her as USD 2800 is a lot of money.

Anyway, I asked her to terminate her hotmail account which was invaded by the crook and also to inform all her friends on that incident so that they are not too worry receiving the fake e-mail. The trouble that my wife has gone through may seem small as compared to the woman which was implicated in the weblog insulting Hindu and also Prophet Muhammad. But cybercrime and identity theft are everywhere nowadays, if you are not careful, you could be the next victim.

No comments: