Monday, December 15, 2008

Tough Life, Anywhere.

While in Nanning, China last week, we had some free time to go shopping. We were told by the tour guide that the most famous shopping centre in town was Parkson/Walmart which is a few km away from the hotel that we stayed. The taxi fare was about 8 yuan (or about RM 4). It was not very far but we were advised to take a cab as the roads could be a bit of confusing.

My wife and I decided to walk, as we could see more things by walking. We checked for directions from the receptionist at the hotel who gave us a clear direction. It took us about half an hour to reach Parkson. As usual, a lot of cars and a lot of people on the road. I actually quite worry of not being able to go back to the hotel as it was turning dark quite early at the evening and the roads were full with fast walking people, I might get confused on which way to go.

Things were not cheap in Parkson. But people in Nanning seemed to be so happily shopping despite of high prices. My wife managed to buy two pieces of jacket which were discounted for 50%. The shopping complex was full of people, I wonder how the Chinese youngsters not worry of recession or economic slowdown as they were still spending like no body business.

After tired of window-shopping, we decided to walk back to the hotel. It was damned cold outside the shopping complex. I told my wife we might not be able to find the way back as it was dark then. We then saw a motorcycled-trishaw parked at the roadside with a handicapped lady shivering, waiting for customer. I told my wife to take the trishaw as it was too cold to walk back. We asked the lady how much was the fare to go back to the hotel. She said 4 yuan. We then sat in the hooded cab and the lady drove us slowly zigzagging through very busy roads in Nanning. It was quite scary sitting in the hooded cab watching cars and motocycles passing by speedily. It took about 10 minutes to reach the hotel. We were shivering in the tiny hooded cab as the winds blowing on our face were unbearable.

Upon reaching the hotel, my wife asked me to pay her a bit more, sympathizing with the handicapped lady working hard to earn a living in such a difficult condition. Business was so competitive as there were so many similar trishaws parking outside the shopping complex waiting for customers. I paid the lady 10 yuan and told her to keep the change. I could see that she was so appreciative, thanking us many times before we went inside the hotel. Life is tough nowadays, but there are those underprivileged people still brave enough to weather through the hardship of life.

No comments: